DIY Curtain Tutorial

by Joanna @ Southern Daisy on February 9, 2013

I’m proud to say that I have made all the curtains in our house.  In total, there are 5 sets: blackout curtains in our master bedroom, Grayson’s bedroom, and our bonus room, and blackout Roman shades in our living room.  The newest set (which is what I’ll be covering in this tutorial) is regular, unlined curtains in our kitchen.  Since I couldn’t think of any reason why I would need blackout curtains in my kitchen, I omitted the lining, which made these the easiest curtains I’ve made so far!

Here’s what you’ll need:

• home decor fabric (mine was 54″ wide)
  • ruler
  • scissors or rotary cutter
  • sewing machine
  • thread
  • pins
  • iron and ironing board

First, you’ll need to measure your window to determine how much fabric you’ll need.  My window is 68″ wide x 84″ tall.  The width doesn’t really matter too much unless your window is REALLY large or REALLY small, in which case you’ll want to adjust your fabric accordingly.  As far as the height goes, this will determine how many yards of fabric you’ll need.  Since I knew I wanted my curtains to hang about 6 inches above the top of the window, I added 6″ to the initial 84″ measurement, which brought my total to 90″.  So determine where you want your curtains to hang and measure from there.  Then you’ll need to add 10 inches to that measurement (2 inches for the top hem and 8 inches for the bottom hem).

So, here was my measurement:

90″ + 10″ = 100″

That was the total for one side.  Remember you’ll need to make two curtains.  So my total fabric length needed to be 200 inches.  Since I like to play it safe and have some extra fabric just in case, I bought 6 yards of fabric (or 216 inches).

Measure and cut your fabric.  You may need to fold your fabric in half lengthwise once or twice to be able to cut in a straight line if you’re using a cutting mat (which I highly recommend).

Once your fabric is cut, turn it so the wrong side is facing up.  Fold and press the side of your fabric (going lengthwise) one inch, or if your fabric has designer and color information on the side like mine did (see picture above) you can fold it until you start to see the pattern on the right side of the fabric.

Fold and press one more time so that you have a one inch hem going down the length of your fabric.

Pin in place and repeat on the other side.

Sew both hems as close to the edge as possible.  Don’t forget to back stitch at the top and bottom of your fabric to secure the thread.

Here you can see my stitch placement on the hem.

Time for the bottom hem.  Make sure your fabric is still facing with the wrong side up and turn up your fabric 4 inches (across the width) and press.

Fold up 4 inches again and press.  This will create a nice thick hem at the bottom.

Pin in place and sew as close to the top edge as possible (just like you did with the sides).

Here’s another example of my stitch placement on the bottom hem.

We’re almost done!  Time for the top and final hem!  Turn and press your fabric one inch.

Turn up one inch again and press.

Pin in place and sew.  You’re all done with the sewing!!! Now we just need to attach our curtain rings and hang it up!

These curtain rings with the clips are such a time saver, because you don’t have to worry about making holes for the rings!

Tada!!!!  Beautiful new curtains, and you made them yourself!!

These curtains add that special touch I was looking for in my kitchen.  I can’t believe it took me almost three years to decide this window needed some pzazz!

Here’s a picture of them closed.  They’re so colorful and cheery!

I hope you enjoyed this tutorial!  If you have any questions, please feel free to ask in the comments section.

{ 17 comments… read them below or add one }

1 Pam Pentland February 9, 2013 at 9:05 pm

Oh, they are so pretty!!! Nice work, Joanna! <3

2 Pam Pentland February 9, 2013 at 9:08 pm

I like them so much better than the blinds! :-)

3 Jessica Brown February 11, 2013 at 3:56 pm

Can’t I just pay you to make mine ;) Sewing is my kryptonite.

4 G-ma March 9, 2013 at 4:52 pm

Sewing is mine too so I was thinking that it looked easy enough to use fabric glue and just glue the seams in, maybe? Those curtain clip things are cool, too. We really need to learn how to use a sewing machine though. Lol

5 Joanna @ Southern Daisy March 10, 2013 at 11:32 am

I’ve never worked with fabric glue, but I’m pretty sure it would work on these curtains. :-)

6 Monica February 21, 2013 at 9:04 pm

Could you please tell me the name of the fabric pattern you used?

7 Joanna @ Southern Daisy February 22, 2013 at 2:00 pm

Sure, Monica. It’s called “Pom Pom Play” by Waverly. I got it at Joann’s. :-)

8 Abbey February 26, 2013 at 5:23 pm

Hi Joanna! You probably don’t remember me from Faith, as I graduated several years after you did….but I just want to say that your work is exquisite! I really enjoy reading about your tutorials and little Grayson! You should consider starting a YouTube channel and posting your DIY’s there too :) I’m sure you would get so many viewers! Good job on the curtains…they’re beautiful :)

9 Joanna @ Southern Daisy February 27, 2013 at 10:32 am

Thanks Abbey! You’re right, I don’t remember you just by looking at your name, but maybe if I saw your picture I would. :-) Thank you for the sweet compliments!

10 Abbey March 5, 2013 at 3:32 am

I graduated in 2009! My full name is Abigail Rondon, I look much different now than I did back then…lol :) I’m a senior in college now but I still remember those days well. Anyways, it’s so nice to see all is well. Hugs to your adorable son! Take care love! :)

11 Katie March 8, 2013 at 2:11 pm

This is the inspiration I needed to finally be convinced that I should have a sewing machine. Pinning this and hoping to tackle this project this year! Gorgeous work – thank you!

12 Sarah March 10, 2013 at 10:38 am

Hi! I’m wondering if you’d consider doing a tuturial on the blackout curtains you made? Or if you know of a good blog that might have one? I’m a relatively new “seamstress” –a possible overstatement! ;) and I’m trying to make a pretty curtain for my sweet girls “big-girl” room. Her room has lots of natural light and I’m hoping a blackout curtain would give me a few more precious minutes in the morning!

13 Joanna @ Southern Daisy March 10, 2013 at 11:30 am

Hi Sarah! Thanks for your comment. Here is a link to the tutorial I used to make my blackout curtains. I would post my own, but I don’t have any windows in my house that need blackout curtains right now. :-) http://midwestmagnolia.com/2011/06/sew-lined-panel-drapes/

14 Angel March 10, 2013 at 4:26 pm

Iove the fabric pattern! Where did you get it???

15 Joanna @ Southern Daisy March 10, 2013 at 6:48 pm

Hi Angel! The fabric is from Joann’s and is made by Waverly.

16 Lflips June 9, 2013 at 6:43 pm

I have that table set! Also, the curtains look great.

17 Lauren March 5, 2014 at 10:34 pm

Great tutorial! I am thinking of using the Waverly Pom Pom Spa fabric for curtains in my home’s living room, so I am glad I came across this! My new sofa is a medium brown and my walls are a creamy yellow. I hope the fabric will go well with the other colors in my room! Thanks again!